So, I know I haven’t kept up with the blog as much as I’ve wanted to. The good news is that I’m consolidating a lot, and now I plan to have everything in this one place 🙂 An update on my goals for the year:
Honestly, I haven’t done well with numbers 1-2. I have not made it a priority to exercise or meditate. I’ve been focusing more on #3, 5, 7, 9, and 12. I’ve done well with writing and reading recently; I haven’t done so well with eating well and exercising.
One thing I’ve learned: 13 things is too many. I went too much, too fast, and I ended up getting overwhelmed. I’ve decided to focus on one thing at a time, master that thing, then move onto the next thing. What have I decided to focus on? My literary life!
Some of the things I’ve been working on the past few months:
- Building up Fleur de Lit. As you can see, the Twitter and Facebook feeds to the right point to my Fleur de Lit pages. I’ve also done a lot of work on the web site: http://www.fleurdelit.com. Although there is still a lot to do, I’m extremely happy with the progress. I’ve doubled my number of followers and am now recruiting volunteers to help plan fundraising and literary events. I’ve partnered with my friend Leora, who owns Pearl Wine Co. in mid-city, to bring a new literary series there that we’re calling “Reading Between the Wines.” The series will take place on the first Wednesday of each month. See this post for more info. Should be fun!
- Reflecting on life and working out what I really want. What do I REALLY want in life? A book store. It’s what I’ve always wanted. So, I’m beginning to work toward that goal, and hopefully in 5 years, I’ll make my life’s dream come true!
- Writing. I’ve made it a goal to try and write something every day. Even it’s just a blog post. Writing and writing and writing some more is the best way to get better at writing. I’m also taking a writing class on Tuesday nights at Loyola and have been regularly attending literary events and the writers’ group at the library. I’ve also been working on my novel, some short stories, some poetry, and two nonfiction books. Just writing as much as possible!
- Planning a Disney trip! Are you really surprised? We plan to go at the beginning of December, and this time, we’re bringing my little brother, who’s 20 years old and has never been. Shame on my parents!
- Reading. I’m reading about 13 or 14 books right now. Seriously.
Some things that happened over the past few months:
- Spent a month in BR for work (ugh!)
- It was hot
- LA Craft Beer Week: We had some really good beer and met the brewer of my most favorite beer ever, New Belgium’s Lips of Faith Imperial Coffee Stout. It’s the beer that made me like beer. Also had some Girl Stout Cookie beer from NOLA Brewery that actually tasted like thin mints!
- Watched Doctor Who from beginning to end (the new series)
- Watched The Walking Dead from beginning to end (comes back in a couple weeks!)
- Watched Sherlock from beginning to end (have to wait until January! GAH!)
- Started Fantasy Football
- Walked the Saints 5K that ends on the 50 yard line in the Superdome
- Did an improv workshop with the YLC that was really fun
- Sent a friend off to live in Brussels for 9 months
- Attended the nerdiest, best work conference ever
- Did some fun stuff for Banned Books Week (Sep. 22-29)
- Joined the Women’s National Book Association and helping them plan their Art of the Book event (artofthebooknola.wordpress.com)
- Joined a kickball league! It’s fun! Come cheer us on.
- Saw my first theatrical production in the Saenger since before Katrina (Book of Mormon)
- Celebrated Bradley’s birthday and saw Evil Dead, the Musical (great!)
- Taking a writing class and learning a lot
- Went to the Walker Percy Conference and the LA Book Festival
- Went to the Fun. concert in Champion Square
Some upcoming exciting things/things I’m looking forward to:
- Saints games! I see a Super Bowl in our future!
- Fleur de Lit’s new series at Pearl
- NOLA Book Fest
- WNBA’s Art of the Book event (and no, that’s not the Women’s National Basketball Association)
- Disney trip!
- Alum theater performance at Dominican: “Almost Twenty” reunion
- Tennessee Williams Festival’s Coffee & Conversation Series with local authors
- The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special
- Finishing NaNoWriMo for the first time ever
- Bradley and my 6th wedding anniversary
So many great things to look forward to! That’s it for my update. Now that you’re all caught up, I’ll try to keep you informed more often so that the posts aren’t forever long 🙂
Until next time,