I’ve been really thinking about 2013 and all the amazing possibilities the year can bring, and I decided to make this year “The Year of the Huber.” I’m going to do what I want to do and not worry so much about everyone else. I am the kind of person who always thinks about others, but doesn’t give a thought to what is best for myself. So this year, I’m going to focus on my personal life with one main theme: DECLUTTER. I took a hint from Figuring Out 40 and created a manifesto for myself for this year:
I’ve also created a list of 13 practices that I will follow:
Calling them “practices” versus “resolutions” makes it sound more official to me. “Resolutions” have a connotation that they are made just to get broken a month later. “Practices” are things that I want to implement in my life and make into habits.
I have four main aims for my practices based on my Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority roots:
Physical: I’m going to declutter my physical body through healthy eating and exercise with a goal of 125 pounds. I’m also going to declutter my physical environment by organizing room by room, starting with the kitchen.
Intellectual: I’m going to read at least 30 books this year! Check out my Goodreads challenge widget on the bottom right to see my progress. I’m also going to write something (whether it’s a journal entry, blog post, novel chapter, etc.) every single day.
Spiritual: I’m going to meditate five times per week and de-stress (through music, meditation, journaling, writing, etc.) for at least 10 minutes every single day.
Social: I have a family goal of hanging out with my dad (whom I haven’t seen a lot in the past) at least once per month and to talk to him at least once per week. I also want to visit my grandfather at least twice per month (he’s 92 and I’m not sure how much more time I will get with him). I also have a goal of reconnecting with friends this year, so I want to contact a friend at least once per week to hang out for a coffee date (or movie, or game night, or whatever). Finally, I want to give back more, whether that’s through making donations or volunteering. I’m thinking of doing something once per month.
I want to focus on the values of relationships, balance, generosity, and enjoyment. I want to enjoy life to its fullest! I feel like I’ve lost a lot of that, especially finding beauty and enjoyment in life, and I want to get that back.
Again going back to my Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority roots, I want to live according to our creed:
To fill my days with satisfying activity,
To find dominant beauty in art, literature, nature and friendships,
To know the peace and serenity of a divine faith,
To love life and joyously live each day to its ultimate good —
This is my creed in Alpha Sigma Alpha.
Wilma Wilson Sharp, ΖΖ
So, now that you know what my resolutions/goals are for the year, here is my plan for January:
PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!
- I’m going to plan out what I’m going to do each month (standing things, events, menus, etc.).
- I’m going to make a Home Management Binder* (watch for a post on de-cluttering the paper in your life!).
- I’m going to make a Blog Ideas Binder* and a Project Life Ideas Binder.*
- I’m going to create a monthly meal plan.*
- I’m going to create a monthly cleaning schedule.*
*Watch for future posts including templates of what I create!
- I’m going to set up a keep/trash/donation station (watch for a future post!).
- I’m going to set up a mail/bills system (another future post!).
- I’m going to organize my kitchen! I’ve already started, so watch for before and after pics!
- I’m going to read at least four chapters of A Storm of Swords (don’t tell me what happens!).
- I’m going to write something each and every day (this counts!).
- I’m going to meditate at least five times per week.
- I’m going to destress (read, listen to music, stretch, breathe, write, journal, some sort of healthy vice) for at least 10 minutes every day after work.
- I’m going to hang out with my dad (already have an event planned for Jan. 6!).
- I’m going to visit my grandfather at least twice (maybe take him to lunch).
Most of these things will repeat month to month. Just looking at it all in one place makes me feel much better and excited about all my new goals and my new outlook on life!!
What is your plan for 2013? Even if the plan is that you have no plan, we want to hear about it!
DOWNLOAD THE TEMPLATES!
Manifesto Template: 2013 Goals
Practices Template: 2013 Practices